Published most Wednesdays

Wednesday 22 September 2010

Hordes of the Things, Invincible Pole fighters, and time.

Phew.

It's been a busy week for me here in media-land. Haven't had much time for Toy soldiers, if I'm honest.

With no new updates on the army, I am starting to worry I might not get it done - as I now have seven weeks to get it all done! Still, I've booked a full week off in October to paint, so as long as I can get it all built by the last week of October, I should be fine. Fine.... yes, fine I tell you.

In the mean time, I'd just like to share a couple of things with you:

1st: - Invincible Pole Fighters

Now, some of you may be unaware of the classic of Chinese cinema that is the Shaw brothers amazing movie "Invincible Pole Fighters".

Well, have a look:

src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZiCMSEYdRVU?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344">

Why am I bringing this up?

Well, today I came across an excellent article entitled "Spear vs. Tank". Could a Pikeman destroy a tank as often happens in Civilisation Four? Well, maybe the average Pikeman, no...but an invincible pole fighter?

Of course.

2nd: -

The awesome game that is Hordes of the Things - HOTT - is now free to download!

It's one of the best games I've ever played. A great little system, perfect for very quick games. It's cool because you can do pretty much any period army you want - you haven't lived until you've seen Space Nazis fighting WW1 brits, for example. In that particular game, Biggles shot down a nazi UFO, and a MkV tank crushed a platoon of werewolves - amazing.

It's a lovely excuse to do a cool army you've always wanted to do, but knew you could never find an opponent for...e.g. Napoleonic, Roman, Gods of Rock, Somalian warlords... whatever.

You can download it here for free - http://www.wrg.me.uk/HISTORY/HOTT2.pdf

Have fun guys,

PS: Page 23 (missing) can be downloaded here - http://www.wrg.me.uk/

1 comment: